Sweet & Spicy Cocktail Nuts
For the past few Thanksgiving's I have been making these sweet & spicy nuts to give away as a special treat. They are always a hit and a great way to thank your host and to show the people around you, "I am Thankful for You!"
Of course you can make these any time of the year or for any holiday occasion as well!
I start with Costco's Kirkland Signature mixed nuts. They are the best value and always so good. I buy the salted and unsalted because you get a different set of nuts that way.
I take a rimmed baking sheet and lay a generous portion of nuts from both containers and spread them out evenly. Then bake at 350 degrees for about 8-10 min.
Remove nuts and reduce baking temp to 325 degrees.
Meanwhile in a bowl I combine the sugars, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt and pumpkin pie spice. I DOUBLE this recipe as I feel it coats the nuts with just the right amount of mixture. Set that aside.
In another large bowl I take 1 large egg and only use the egg white. Beat the egg white and 1 TBSP water until frothy.
I then add the nuts I just baked from the baking pan and add into the egg white mixture. I use two spoons to mix the nuts to ensure they are all coated evenly. I then transfer these coated nuts to the bowl with the sugars and spices. Again, I use two spoons to mix and coat evenly.
You will want to line your baking sheet with parchment paper (I even spray VERY LIGHTLY some coconut oil to the parchment). Take your mixed nuts and spread in a single layer and bake for 15-20 min. I keep an eye on them so I don't burn them.
Let cool on baking sheet and take a fork and separate them a few times while they cool so they are easier to transfer into baggies or jars.
You can then decorate and package the nuts up however you like!
RECIPE BELOW: (I double the spice amounts)
- 1lb (about 4 cups) mixed nuts - or enough to fill the baking sheet :)
- 1/4 Cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2Tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (this adds a great kick to the nuts!)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg white
1) Heat oven to 350 degrees and spread nuts on rimmed baking sheet for 8-10 min. Remove nuts, and reduce oven to 325 degrees
2) Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine sugars, salt and spices
3) In another large bowl, beat egg white and 1 Tbsp water until frothy. Add the just baked nuts to the egg white mixture and toss with two spoons until evenly coated
4) Move the egg white coated nuts to the sugar, salt, spice mixture and again toss with two spoons until evenly coated
5) Line baking sheet with parchment paper and LIGHTLY spray with coconut oil or olive oil spray (this helps to keep the nuts from sticking to parchment paper)
6) Spread the nuts out evenly on the baking sheet in a single layer, and bake for 15-20 min
7) Lets the nuts cool on baking sheet all the while separating for a fork a few times to keep nuts from clumping
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!!